Monday, August 20, 2007

Snowman Tatermitts

I'm not sure why, but ever since I first heard about Snowman Taterlegs, I've been enamored of the term. It's just a strange juxtaposition of words that I imagine rolls right off the tounge. (I haven't had a chance to use it in any of my live games yet.)

Thanks to the power of Tivo, I don't watch many commercials, but happened to have my head in email while half-watching something when this came on:

Peeling potatoes can take forever! Oh No! Not with a knife, that's dangerous! Now there's a better way! Introducing: Tater Mitts!


It's basically a pair of kitchen gloves with coarse-grit sandpaper built-in to the palms/fingers.

The commercial sucked me in to actually watching, and I had to rewind, because it made me laugh out loud. They had 4 demonstrations of the product "in use", and 3 of them either made the product look bad, or were obviously rigged.

1 - Potato ("in only 8 seconds!") - This potato has obviously been boiled to within an inch of its life. (The instructions apparently state that you must boil the potato first, but it never says so in the commercial. Looks like it works OK, with no obvious doctoring.

2 - Carrot ("works great on other vegetables, too!") - looks like it works OK, but the carrot sawdust is clogging up the sandpaper on the gloves somethin' fierce. Looks like they'd be a bitch to clean.

3 - Apple - This is the one that first got my attention, because they use "time lapse" footage to show the before and after. The after shot has a very clear circle around the stem which makes it completely obvious that the apple has been peeled using a knife.

4 - Sweet Potato ("you can even peel sweet potatoes in a flash, too!") - This is the one that made me laugh. You can see that they're dropping "peelings" out of the gloves as they wave them around the pre-peeled yam under a stream of water.


The spooky thing is, their number has Snowman Taterlegs right in there.
1-800-453-3300.

Call now!

No comments: